AAM: 90% Of Publications Have Mobile Apps

According to a new survey from the Alliance for Audited Media, nearly 90% of U.S. publishers have a mobile presence, while the remaining 10% expect to join the mobile fray within the next 12 months.
By
NetNewsCheck,

Nearly 90% of U.S. publishers have a mobile presence, up from only 51% in 2009, according to a new survey released today from the Alliance for Audited Media.

The remaining 10% is expected to hop on the bandwagon within the next 12 months, according to AAM.

Story continues after the ad

Some 22% of the AAM publications that participated in the survey reported that their smartphone and tablet apps/platforms are currently profitable, AAM said. More than half expect these platforms to become profitable over the next two years.

The survey also found publishers favoring Apple products, with 85% of respondents having iPhone apps and 87% having iPad apps. But Kindle and Nook are going ground. The number of publishers developing Kindle apps has grown from 24% in 2011 to 67% in 2012, while Nook apps have increased from 14% in 2011 to 57% in 2012.

“Media companies know that delivering content whenever and wherever consumers want is key,” Eric John, AAM VP of digital services, said in a statement. “They know digital content, including browser-based editions and mobile apps, is no longer the wave of the future, but table stakes to continue reaching and growing digital readership. This year’s survey results show that publishers have embraced tablets, smartphones and the Web as an integral part of their overall cross-platform publishing strategy. They are meeting their readers where they live — in print, on tablets and smartphones, and on the Web.”

Othe findings from the survey:

Brand Connections
  • Media companies are offering multiple apps on each device. On average, companies are producing 3.4 iPad and iPhone apps, 3 Kindle apps and 2.4 Nook apps.
  • Publishers are most likely to charge for content on the iPad (56%), followed by the iPhone at 42%, Kindle at 38% and Nook at 31%. But subscriptions are not the only revenue source. The majority of respondents agreed a dual revenue stream from advertising and subscriptions is necessary to make digital platforms profitable.
  • Media companies are nearly split on using native apps designed for specific devices versus Web apps that function across devices: 70% are publishing native apps, while 67% are publishing Web apps.
  • When asked to think about the next year, 41% said they plan to continue using native apps while 31% said they plan to try HTML5.
  • Some 48% of newspapers have a paywall to charge for some or all of their content. Combined percentages for newspapers, magazines and business publications show 41% currently use a paywall. Of those currently without a paywall, 44% plan to implement one in the next two years.
  • Of those with paywalls, almost 40% use metered paywalls, while 17% use a hard paywall where payment is required to read content. And 33% use a combination paywall that restricts access to premium content.
  • Seventy-seven percent agreed mobile revenue must stem from advertising and circulation, up from 52% in 2009. Fifty-four percent of respondents said mobile currently represents up to 9% of advertising revenue, and 56% said it represents up to 9% of circulation revenue.
  • Less than 15% said they have plans to reduce their print publishing frequency and less than 3% think their publication will only be produced digitally in the next five years.

The complete survey summary is available here.

Tags

Comments (0) -

Twitter

Opinions
Features
Ideas
This advertisement will close automatically in  second(s). You will see this ad no more than once a day. Skip ad