Egypt Court Orders Block On YouTube Access

Associated Press,

CAIRO (AP) -- A Cairo court on Saturday ordered the government to block access to the video-sharing Web site YouTube for 30 days for carrying an anti-Islam film that set off deadly riots last year, but the ruling can be appealed and, based on precedent, may not be enforced.

Judge Hassouna Tawfiq described the video as "offensive to Islam" and to the Prophet Muhammad. The first protests against the film erupted in Cairo last September, before spreading to more than 20 countries, leaving more than 50 people dead.

Story continues after the ad

The 14-minute video, said to be a trailer for a movie called "Innocence of Muslims," portrays Muhammad as a religious fraud, a womanizer and a pedophile. It was produced in the United States by an Egyptian-born Christian who is now a United States citizen.

A spokeswoman for YouTube's parent company, Google, said in a statement that Google had "received nothing from the judge or government related to this matter."

Brand Connections

Tags

Comments (0) -

Twitter

Opinions
Features
Ideas
This advertisement will close automatically in  second(s). You will see this ad no more than once a day. Skip ad